Hemorrhoids or Piles
What is Hemorrhoids
Hemorrhoids are swollen vessels in or around the anus or rectum. They become disease when swollen and inflamed. Sometimes they swell so that the vein wall become stretched thin and irritated by passing bowel movement .One gets piles at any age but generally in age ranging between 45 to 65..
What are the types of Hemorrhoids or Piles
Piles generally is of two types, bleeding and dry piles. In bleeding piles when there is so much blood loss, patient can suffer from anemia. Wind formation in the stomach, loss of appetite, itching in the anus region often are associated with the disease.
For bleeding Hemorrhoids or Piles from 1st to 3rd degree: BERCIN 2 tablets to be swallowed 3 to 4 times a day with clean water for 5 to 7 days.
Piles can be classifieds
1.Internal Piles or Hemorrhoids are further sub classified on the basis of degrees:
a) First degree: Hemorrhoids may bleed but don’t come out of anus.
b) Second degree: Hemorrhoids come out of anus when bowels make movements
but go inside afterwards.
c) Third degree: Hemorrhoids come out but go back only when pushed inside.
d) Fourth degree: Hemorrhoids always remain partly outside and can’t be pushed
back and they become very painful or swollen if they bleed inside.
What Is Ayurvedic Approach?
According to Ayurveda Piles are known as Aarsha. Due to improper eating habits and lifestyle, tri-energies mainly vata, pitta, kapha get disturbed and cause vitiation of vata, Pitta doshas. Vitiated Pitta dosha cause accumulation of Ama or toxic matter in digestion tract and vata causes obstruction of channels. All this leads to a mass hanging down from the anus.
What causes Hemorrhoids or Piles?
• Irregular bowel habits (Constipation or diarrhea)
• Low fat diet
• Emotional Stress
• Pregnancy (Due to hormonal disorders)
What are signs and symptoms for Hemorrhoids or Piles?
Symptoms can vary. Sometimes there may not be any symptom and person may not realize that he/she has piles.
• The most common symptom is bleeding while going to toilet to pass stool. Hemorrhoid can hang out and can be felt outside. Often it has to be pushed back after you have been to toilet. In severe cases it cannot be pushed back and remain outside only.
• Painless, bright red rectal bleeding during or following defecation.
• Blood typically covers the stool.
• Mucous discharge
• Perianal mass if hemorrhoids prolapse through the anus, itchiness or fecal incontinence.
• Possible complication of hemorrhoids is that they hang down then there can be strangulation. This becomes a painful situation. Another complication is blood clot which can form within the hemorrhoid and in return causes the intense pain.
What are possible complications of Hemorrhoids or Piles?
The most common complication of it is strangulation (the cut down of blood). This can be intense painful.
Another possible complication is blood clot formed in Hemorrhoids. The Pain usually peaks up in 48-72 hour.
What are the precautionary measures or tips for patients of Hemorrhoids or Piles
1. Avoid Constipation: Fiber rich diet is recommended for avoid constipation. Fruits Pears, Peach, Papaya, melons, apple all are good for good bowels movements.
2. Spicy food should be avoided. Tea, Coffee should be avoided.
3. Aloe Vera Juice two times a day early morning empty stomach and in the evening before one hour of dinner is recommended.
4. Radish juice recommended two times a day in morning and evening.
5. Olive oil is the edible that helps in curing Hemorrhoids or Piles. It has anti -inflammatory property that soothes the area and reduces discomfort. Consuming Olive oil in food also on regular basis will improve the bowel habit.
6. Take ½ spoon roasted black cumin seeds (jeera) with glass of water once a day.
7. Wash 3-4 figs. Soak them overnight. Eat them first thing in the morning and again in the night.
8. Drink a glass of buttermilk with ¼ carom powder with pinch of black salt.