What is VARICOSE VEINS
Varicose veins are larger blood vessels that have become swollen and twisted. They appear dark blue and stick out from the skin like raised tunnels. Varicose veins can develop anywhere in the body, but usually sprout on the legs and ankles.
Inside the picture of varicose veins
The picture of normal and abnormal veins above is self explanatory
MAINLY TWO SYSTEMS OF VEINS IN LEGS
1. Deep veins which carry the most of blood back from legs to heart.
2. Superficial veins which are present under skin.
Only Superficial veins are converted into varicose veins.
So these veins have one way valve that controls blood flows towards heart. But due to the failure of these valves blood flows backwards (see the picture above) into veins which exert the excessive pressure. Due to that veins can’t close properly. This excess pressure in the veins, results in the development of the spider veins or varicose veins
Who Gets Spider/Varicose Veins
Anyone can get spider veins or varicose veins, but women are twice as susceptible as men. The problem is also more common in people with jobs that keep them on their feet, including nurses and teachers, traffic police constables.
Other factors that may contribute include aging, obesity, pregnancy, prior trauma, or surgery to the leg and a genetic predisposition.
This problem mostly occurs in the veins of thighs ,legs and feet. Abnormal thickening, twisting and bulging of veins is termed as varicose veins.
Factors associated with development of Spider veins or Varicose veins
Varicose veins problem is also considered as the genetic problem. It has been seen that women are more prone to this problem as compare to men. There are various factors which are responsible for this problem like hormonal complications, pregnancy, use of contraceptive pills, menopause and hormone replacement therapy.
Causes which may lead to or aggravate Spider veins/Varicose veins
1. Pregnancy –This problem occurs in 1st trimester of pregnancy. During this time elevated levels of hormones and increased blood flow result in varicose veins. Moreover large uterus also exerts the pressure on veins. This problem can be improved within 3-4 months after pregnancy. Whereas in the case of successive pregnancies, these abnormal veins remain constantly present.
2. Extended standing
3. Urine retention- by prostate also creates the strain on leg veins which results in varicose veins.
Varicose Veins Also Lead To Risk Of Other Circulatory Problems
Therefore utmost precautions must be observed when:-
1. Sizable veins are visible under the surface of skin.
2. Minor swelling in feet and ankles.
3. Steady pain in legs.
4. Cramps in legs..
5. Itching and dryness in lower legs and ankle
6. Discoloration of skin around varicose veins.
herbal remedies to combat Spider veins/Varicose veins
Garli-Zn-Co:1 to 2 capsule 3 to 4 times a day for 30 to 40 days with warm water.
Kaanchnaar Guggulu 500mg (Mfd.by Yamuna Pharmacy):: 2 tablets 3 to 4 times a day for 30 to 40 days with hot and cooled down water.
Aarogya Vardhini Vati 500mg (Mfd.by Yamuna Pharmacy): : 1 to 2 tables 3 to 4 times a day for 30 to 40 days with hot and cooled down water.
Varicose veins patients should regularly lie down and elevate their legs with increasing time and rotate the ankles clockwise and anti-clockwise with deep breathing.